The town is only a few kilometers away from Canale, on the road to Carmagnola, on the top of a steep hill dominated by the castle. The vineyards that cover the hills produce some very good wines. In the latest years strawberry farming has hugely increased, along with the production of chestnuts.
The village was founded just after the year 1000, but many findings are of the Roman era. Under the protective shadow of the castle built on the “mons acutus” hill (from which the name), the feud was owned by the Biandrate and later by the Roero family. The German emperor Friedrick Barbarossa stayed in the castle with his court in the winter of 1158, because of the quantity and quality of the wines.
The Roero became lords of the town, and of that of Santo Stefano Roero, at the end of the thirteenth century.