The town has a little historical centre, where there are the town hall palace, the parish church dedicated to Maria Vergine Assunta and the chapel of san Lorenzo.
The town’s beauty derives also from its surroundings, a green valley covered with woods, perfect for walks. Up on the hill, in the Pedaggera village, there’s the little village called Arbi, where a small castle stands, built in a Scottish castle and called the “Red castle”.
On August, 15th the patronal fair dedicated to the Assumption is held.
Two theories have been formed to explain this town’s origins: according to the first, the name comes from the “salt road” from Liguria to Piedmont; the second refers the name to the Longobard name “sala”, meaning “cave”, room, or village.
The presence of the Romans is shown by a plaque celebrating the town’s origins.
Around the year 1000 a majestic castle was built, to defend the town from the frequent invasions.
Since 1948 the town has been divided into two smaller villages, Sale Langhe and Sale San Giovanni.