“Cameriana” was first named in 998, when Ottone III referred to it as a “casaforte”. This was probably the first nucleus of the tower (wholly made of stone) that stands on the road between the Bormida and Belbo valleys.
Long owned by the Lords of Del Carretto, then by the Saluzzo family, and finally since 1631 by the Savoia royal family, it became a real palace, with a majestic balcony on the first floor, facing the town square.
Badly damaged by an earthquake in 1889, the castle is since then owned by the Commune; in 1930 its mostly damaged parts were destroyed. The tower – its most ancient feature – was then again solitary, and became the symbol of the town of Camerana. Recently restored, it can be visited after requesting permission in the town hall.