The center of Serralunga, a typical medieval town, has changed a little since the old times. From the castle it’s possible to see its structure, of houses built around the castle; this way it was easy for the people to run and take shelter there in case of war.
The castle was restored thanks to Luigi Einaudi and it is today one of the few castles in the Langhe that can be visited. Its tall towers remind of the need to look for the Saracins and to communicate with the other castles through light signals.
Serralunga is one of the best places for the making of Barolo wine. The ton fair is held on the third Sunday in August.
The town has been built along with its castle. Owned by Bonifacio del Vasto, “Sera Longa” (named after its bizarre shape, built as it was on a hill’s crag), was later owned by the Del Carretto family and the marquis of Saluzzo.
It later became a feud of the marquis Falletti di Barolo, who had the castle built, and of the Baldi family from Bra. The castle was conquered in 1616 and later occupied by the Spanish.
At present owned by the Italian government, it has been restored in 1950 thanks to the then President Luigi Einaudi.