A few ruins on a hill are the sign of the ancient origins of this town in the Bormida valley. They are the ruins of the castle, built by the Del Carretto family in the medieval era and restored in 1587 to become a sumptuous house, with salons decorated with marble and stuccos. It was then ruined during the many wars, and the various restorings couldn’t give it back its original beauty. It was inhabited until 1860, but was later abandoned when it became impossible to live in it.
Today the tourists can find in Gorzegno some very interesting churches, among which the patronal church of saint Siro and John the Baptist, the chapel of saint Mary of the Vineyards, the church of saint Martin and last the church of saint John, built in the XII century. In May the chicken fair takes place.
This town has a Latin name: it was “cohors Aenni”, Ennius’ garrison. Ennius was a Roman centurion. Only a few ruins are left of the castle built in 1500 for Alfonso Del Carretto.