Of considerable interest, as an example of a castle complex, renovated and enlarged over time, the castle of Cisterna d’Asti shows evident sings of constructions from various eras. Various scholars have written with regard to this testimony of composite historical architecture: Ludovico Vergano, Renato Bordone, Baldassare Molino and others. The first documented mention of the […]
The Sinio Castle, or he fifteenth century fortress, stand at the apex of the old village, which was surrounded by walks and was calle the “villa”.
The Serralunga d’Alba Castle was built between 1340 and 1357, in just 17 years, and was one of the dwellings of the rich Falletti family: merchants and bankers from Asti who represented the most important dynasty in this area of Piedmont.
The castle, which once belonged to the Alfieri di Sostegno, gentlemen of San Martino, was built between 1649 and 1680. Vittorio Alfieri, who lived there when he was young, mentions it in several of his letters.
Through a wide porch you will pass to the inner garden, where there are some double stairs leading to the terraces on the first floor, where a series of doors open.
This majestic building was built in the XIII century. In the sixteenth century it was an important military stronghold, but what we see today is the result of a restoration made inthe nineteenth century that transformed the building into a then fashionable neogothic structure.
Of the ancient part of the town of Corneliano it’s today possible to see only the tower. It has a decagonal structure, and on its top there are four series of little decorative arches. It once was a part of a fortified castle with many towers. There’s a legend saying that this hill was where […]
The Castiglione Falletto castle, from the origins to present day up to its reopening with the agreement between the Town and the Vassallo Family, owners of the manor.
“Cameriana” was first named in 998, when Ottone III referred to it as a “casaforte”. This was probably the first nucleus of the tower (wholly made of stone) that stands on the road between the Bormida and Belbo valleys.
The castle of Cisterna, as we see it today, was built inthe seventeenth century, but before that it was a fortress, so solid and in such a strategic defensive position that it was called “the fortress of Piedmont”.
he building looks like a late Renaissance palace, as a result of the many restorings it has endured during the centuries (the last were in 1820 and 1864). Inside there are beautiful eighteenth-century paintings, a baroque room and fourteenth-century wooden ceilings.
The castle in Grinzane Cavour is one of the best examples of the medieval architecture in the Langhe. Its present shape is the result of a complete restoring made in 1961, that has reshaped it in its original features after the many reworkings.
Built of stones and particularly high, it still bears on the facade traces of the most ancient building (of the XIII century): it’s still possible to see the arch of the original portal and the machicolations above it. Typical are the entrance stairs to the drawbridge, once richly decorated with frescos.
Benevello – The castle as we see it today, a kind of simple noble villa with two squat round towers, is very old.
It was probably first built in 1100, as a fortress to protect the road from the Langhe to Alba.
The old castle, badly damaged during the French-Spanish wars, was partly rebuilt by the architect Juvarra for the cout of santa Vittoria Luigi Caisotti, later marquis of Verduno.